7 (Sat) July 2018
Grilled Y/F Tuna Steak
from The West Wing
in my room
Summer Solo Vacation in the Maldives, Day 1.
In Male. Here for my first liveaboard experience. Joining a group assembled by my dive teacher DV comprising his students/friends/ex-girlfriends. For 7 days, we sail through and dive amidst the central and northern atolls of the Maldives.
Flying in on AirAsia via Kuala Lumpur, I had an 8.5-hr layover in the airport. Having purchased a premium ticket package, I had access to the lounge. Though technically not a “business class” lounge because the budget carrier doesn’t have business class, it was nicer than lounges in most airports, with decent food.
BEST IN LOUNGE – an on-going ranking of dining experiences in airport business class lounges:
- TURKEY: Istanbul Ataturk Airport – Turkish Airlines Lounge (8.052 Köfte + Piliç) (9.056 Pide)
- SINGAPORE: Singapore Changi Airport – Singapore Airlines Lounge (6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta)
- NETHERLANDS: Amsterdam Airport Schiphol – KLM Crown Lounge (6.311 Beef & Beetroot Meatballs)
- UNITED ARAB EMIRATES: Abu Dhabi International Airport – Etihad Airways Lounge (6.154 Shakshouka)
- AUSTRALIA: Brisbane Airport – Singapore Airlines Lounge (6.242 Scallops)
- JAPAN: Haneda Airport International Terminal (8.202 Clam and Spicy Tofu Stew)
- JORDAN: Queen Alia International Airport – Royal Jordanian Crown Lounge (6.159 Memories of Hummus)
- THAILAND: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Royal Silk Lounge (7.306 Fried Black Cod …)
- MALAYSIA: Kuala Lumpur International Airport – AirAsia Premium Red Lounge (9.183 Grilled Y/F Tuna Steak)
- GERMANY: Flughafen München – Lufthansa Lounge (6.307 Chicken in Cream Sauce)
- RUSSIA: Moscow Domodedovo Airport (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns)
- INDIA: Indira Gandhi International Airport (7.313 Braised Pork Balls)
- KOREA: Incheon International Airport – Asiana Business Class Lounge (Satellite Terminal) (5.363 Past + Sandwich for the Elite)
- KOREA: Incheon International Airport – Korean Air Prestige Lounge (Satellite Terminal) (6.090 Shin Ramyeon BLACK)
- KOREA: Incheon International Airport – Star Alliance Lounge (2.036 Shin Ramyeon…)
- UNITED STATES of AMERICA: John F Kennedy International Airport – Korean Air Lounge (7.039 Sauteed Cod Fillet)
- SWITZERLAND: Geneva International Airport
- CHINA: Hong Kong International Airport (5.182 Har Gao)
- PHILIPPINES: Ninoy Aquino International Airport – MIASCOR Lounge (4.272 Chicken Curry…)
- FIJI: Nadi International Airport (5.181 Sliced Roast Lamb)
We will board the boat tomorrow morning.
Tonight, we’re staying in town.
For dinner, I opted to stay in and order “room service” from the restaurant next door. Being my first ever meal in the Maldives, I chose what appeared to be the most local item on the menu. I’m assuming “Y/F” means “yellow fin.”
It was fine.
Maldives is strictly Muslim, so alcohol is tightly regulated. No duty free liquor allowed, even bags are scanned/searched upon arrival at the airport for contraband. Locally, booze is sold only in specially licensed hotels where only foreigners are permitted to stay. Before agreeing to join this trip, I was assured that our boat has a fully stocked bar.
I went to sleep completely sober – can’t recall the last time that happened.