by Etihad Airways
on Flight EY 428
-Somewhere over Asia-
Mission to Jordan, Day 7 (see previously 6.159 Memories of Hummus).
In Amman. Arrived Tuesday. Wednesday thru yesterday, I participated in a workshop to support countries in strengthening their legal frameworks to restrict the marketing of junk food to kids. Departed last night, getting back to Manila this evening.
As noted on the flight going in (see 6.154 Shakshouka), I confirm that the food on Etihad Airways sucks. Among the 7 items that I was served, the best ones were barely okay at best.
I had the same lousy experience on Etihad on a prior trip to Egypt a couple years back (see generally 4.301 Arabic Spiced Chicken…).
So, because of the crappy food, and the uncomfortable seating, and the cheapjack amenities — [and the fact that, as I write this post 1 month later, customer service hasn’t yet responded to my emails about the headphones that I left on board] — I will never again willingly travel on Etihad Airways.
Starting a new feature on GMTD, a ranking of dining experiences on business class flights that I’ve taken (if I find the time, I might expand this to economy flights), including but not necessarily based on average rating of all items tried.
BEST IN CLASS
- Qatar Airlines — MNL>DOH + DOH>DME(Moscow) (5.279 Assorted Hot Mezzah)(3.05); DME>DOH + DOH>MNL(Manila) ( (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns)(2.42)
- Asiana Airlines — ICN>MNL(Manila) (6.048 Ssambap)(4.0)
- Korean Air — ICN>NAD(Nadi) (5.175 Prestigious Repast) (2.5); MNL>ICN(Incheon) (6.021 Bibimbap)(2.5); MNL>ICN + ICN>NAD(Nadi) (6.101 Coconut Carrot Cream Soup)(2.4); NAD>ICN + ICN>MNL(Manila) (6.111 Asparagus Cream Soup)(2.13)
- Philippine Airlines — MNL>MEL(Melbourne) (5.335 Chicken Tausi)(2.63)
- Etihad Airways — MNL>AUH + AUH>AMM(Amman) (6.154 Shakshouka)(1.58); AMM>AUH + AUH>MNL (Manila) (6.160 Zaalou-Crusted Chicken Breast)(1.69)
- Cathay Pacific Airways — HKG>MNL(Manila) (5.182 Har Gao)(1.0)
- Fiji Airways — NAD>HKG(Hong Kong) (5.181 Sliced Roast Lamb) (1.0)