4 (Mon) March 2019
at Springs Hotel
Mission to Mongolia, Day 2 (see previously 10.057 Hindu Meal).
In Ulaanbaatar. As part of a coordinated region-wide retreat to work on the new Regional Director’s vision for the future – Tue to Thu – I’ve been deployed to facilitate the proceedings at the Mongolia Country Office. Could be construed as a recognition of my skills as a facilitator, but probably isn’t. Anyway, happy to be in Mongolia for the first time.
Spent Monday meeting with focal points in the country office to prepare.
Afterwards, room service for dinner.
Tsuiwan is a Mongolian dish. Flour noodles, typically hand-made – similar to Korean kalgusku – first boiled, then stir-fried with sliced beef/lamb and vegetables.
Perhaps just here, but I found the dish to be dry and flavorless.
By good fortune – not entirely a matter of luck, as Ulaanbaatar apparently has a lot of Korean social infrastructure – Springs Hotel hosts a Korean restaurant: Haenbuk – oddly transcribed into English, in Korean = “헹복 (haengbok)” or “happiness.”
If I worked at the Mongolian country office, I would presumably eat here quite often for lunch.
And with that, Mongolia becomes the 15th country and Ulaanbaatar becomes the 26th city outside of Korea where I’ve had Korean food in a restaurant.
- USA: 01.01 Silicon Valley (San Jose, Santa Clara, etc.) CA; 01.02 New York NY; 01.03 Boston MA; 01.04 Northern Virginia VA; 01.05 East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, etc.) CA; 01.06 Los Angeles CA; 01.07 San Francisco CA; 01.08 San Diego CA; 01.12 Chicago IL; 01.13 Washington DC; 01.23 Guam (6.283 The Boss’s Beefy Birthday Bash)
- THA: 02.09 Bangkok; 02.10 Pattaya
- CHE: 03.11 Geneva
- GBR: 04.14 London
- CHN: 05.15 Beijing
- KHM: 06.16 Phnom Penh (3.269 Fried Beef with Red Ants)
- LAO: 07.17 Vientiane (3.272 Pho Ga)
- PHL: 08.18 Metro Manila (5.005 Ki for Ki)
- FJI: 09.19 Suva (5.178 Bibimbab)
- PNG: 10.20 Port Moresby (5.276 Spicy Chicken Muchim)
- RUS: 11.20 Moscow (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns…)
- AUS: 12.21 Melbourne (5.342 Crocodile Meat…)
- MYS: 13.24 Kuala Lumpur (6.333 Jacked — Three Ways)
- JPN: 14.25 Wakoshi (7.266 Gu Ba)
- MNG: 15.26 Ulaanbaatar