20 (Fri) November 2015
Seared Seafood with Coconut Sauce Served with Pasta and Assorted Vegetables
by Korean Air
on Flight KE 138
-Somewhere over the Pacific Ocean-
Mission to Fiji : Day 6 (see previously 6.318 Flash-Fried Bugs…).
Leaving Nadi, following a workshop on tobacco control, Tuesday to Thursday. En route to Seoul.
On the road for two weeks, two missions, back to back, Switzerland, then Fiji. Both trips involve long haul flights, inherently difficult due to travel time and time difference, but the business class compensates somewhat. Arranged the itinerary — MNL > ICN > GVA > ICN > NAD > ICN > MNL — to allow for three consecutive weekends at home, the final one starting tonight, though only for a day and a half. I’ll take my blessings however they may come.
Overall, the meal service turned out to be disappointing. Lunch was okay per se, but the bibimbap is really becoming a tiresome — if tireless, as it stands strong as the better option in most cases — cliché. Dinner — the seafood pasta, one of the most unoriginal dishes that I’ve ever experienced in flight, business class or otherwise — was crap. As a result, I’ve dropped Korean Air down a notch on the Best in Class rankings.
Notwithstanding my humble proclamation below about the gratitude and respect for the opportunity to fly business class — which remains true — I’m painfully aware that the ever-dwindling opinions concerning the meal services result — as with everything in life — from getting ever-spoiled by the frequency of the experiences.
BEST IN CLASS – an on-going ranking of dining experiences on business class flights.
- Qatar Airlines — MNL > DOH > DME (5.279 Assorted Hot Mezzah); DME > DOH > MNL ( (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns)
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines — GVA > AMS > ICN (6.311 Beef & Beetroot Meatballs)
- Asiana Airlines — MNL > ICN (2.036 Shin Ramyeon…); ICN > MNL (6.048 Ssambap); MNL > ICN (6.305 Chicken Congee)
- Singapore Airlines — MNL > SIN > BNE (6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta); BNE > SIN > MNL (6.243 Ggongchi Kimchi Jjigae)
- Korean Air — ICN > NAD (5.175 Prestigious Repast); MNL > ICN (6.021 Bibimbap); MNL > ICN > NAD (6.101 Coconut Carrot Cream Soup); NAD > ICN > MNL (6.111 Asparagus Cream Soup); ICN > NAD (6.314 Bibimbap); NAD > ICN (6.319 Seared Seafood…)
- Philippine Airlines — MNL > MEL (5.335 Chicken Tausi)
- Etihad Airways — MNL > AUH > AMM (6.154 Shakshouka); AMM > AUH > MNL (6.160 Zaalou-Crusted Chicken Breast)
- Deutsche Lufthansa — ICN > MUC > GVA (6.307 Chicken in Cream Sauce)
- Cathay Pacific Airways — HKG > MNL (5.182 Har Gao)
- Fiji Airways — NAD > HKG (5.181 Sliced Roast Lamb)
AMM = Amman / AMS = Amsterdam / AUH = Abu Dhabi / BNE = Brisbane / DOH = Doha / DME = Moscow / GVA = Geneva / HKG = Hong Kong / ICN = Incheon / MEL = Melbourne / MUC = Munich / NAD = Nadi / SIN = Singapore
As always, I should note that I am grateful for and respectful of the opportunity to travel, especially via business class. Any comments here, even the negative ones, are simply relative to other business class experiences, not complaints per se.