7 (Thu) March 2019
Stock Soup of Bone and Stew Meat
–Springs Hotel, Ulaanbaatar-
Mission to Mongolia, Day 5 (see previously 10.060 Buuz).
In Ulaanbaatar. As part of a coordinated region-wide retreat to work on the new Regional Director’s vision for the future – Tue to Thu – I’ve been deployed to facilitate the proceedings at the Mongolia Country Office. Could be construed as a recognition of my skills as a facilitator, but it’s not. Anyway, happy to be in Mongolia for the first time.
To bring it full circle, I had my farewell dinner tonight at the same place where I had my welcome lunch upon arrival four days ago (see previously 10.058 Tsuiwan). When traveling, especially to a country that I’m visiting for the first time, where I don’t know when if ever I’ll be back, I’d opt for local cuisine. However, I was so sick and tired by this point, literally – a perfect storm of UB’s notorious air pollution, stress + exhaustion, cold + dry weather, diet, plus a lingering cough that I picked up in Fiji a couple weeks back – in fact, I was in such bad shape by midday that we considered taking me to an emergency room – that Korean comfort food was just the thing. My dining companion, staff member from the China country office, was happy to oblige.
Stock Soup of Bone and Stew Meat = Seolleong Tang.
Not great per se, but made me feel 200% better, as Korean beef soups do when I’m in need of a boost (see also 10.050 Galbi Tang).
BEST IN CLASS – an on-going ranking of dining experiences on business class flights
- Qatar Airlines — MNL > DOH > DME (5.279 Assorted Hot Mezzah); DME > DOH > MNL ( (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns)
- Singapore Airlines — MNL > SIN > BNE (6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta); BNE > SIN > MNL (6.243 Ggongchi Kimchi Jjigae)
- Turkish Airlines — MNL > IST (8.046 Grilled Seafood Selections); GVA > IST (8.051 Fresh Herb Baby Chicken); IST > MNL (8.052 Köfte + Piliç); MNL > IST > GVA (9.050 Grilled Seafood Selection); GVA > IST (9.055 Grilled Lamb Chop); MNL > IST (9.330 Parrot Fish with Sweet & Sour Sauce); BEY > IST > MNL
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines — GVA > AMS > ICN (6.311 Beef & Beetroot Meatballs)
- Asiana Airlines — MNL > ICN (2.036 Shin Ramyeon…); ICN > MNL (6.048 Ssambap); MNL > ICN (6.305 Chicken Congee); ICN > MNL (6.321 Ssambap)
- Korean Air — ICN > NAD (5.175 Prestigious Repast); MNL > ICN (6.021 Bibimbap); MNL > ICN > NAD (6.101 Coconut Carrot Cream Soup); NAD > ICN > MNL (6.111 Asparagus Cream Soup); ICN > NAD (6.314 Bibimbap); NAD > ICN (6.319 Seared Seafood…); MNL > ICN > JFK (7.032 Manhattan); JFK > ICN (7.039 Sauteed Cod Fillet); ICN > MNL (7.041 Gom Tang); ULN > ICN (10.061 Stock Soup of Bone and Stew Meat)
- Etihad Airways — MNL > AUH > AMM (6.154 Shakshouka); AMM > AUH > MNL (6.160 Zaalou-Crusted Chicken Breast)
- Thai Airways — MNL > BKK > DEL (7.306 Fried Black Cod …); DEL > BKK > MNL (7.313 Braised Pork Balls)
- Philippine Airlines — MNL > MEL (5.335 Chicken Tausi)
- Deutsche Lufthansa — ICN > MUC > GVA (6.307 Chicken in Cream Sauce)
- Cathay Pacific Airways — HKG > MNL (5.182 Har Gao); HKG > MNL (10.049 Termite Mushroom Steamed Halibut)
- Fiji Airways — NAD > HKG (5.181 Sliced Roast Lamb); HKG > NAD (10.042 Grilled Peri Peri Chicken); NAD > HKG (10.049 Termite Mushroom Steamed Halibut)
AMM = Amman // AMS = Amsterdam // AUH = Abu Dhabi // BEY = Beirut // BKK = Bangkok // BNE = Brisbane // DEL = New Delhi // DOH = Doha // DME (Domodedovo) = Moscow // GVA = Geneva // HKG = Hong Kong // ICN = Incheon // IST = Istanbul // JFK (John F Kennedy) = New York // MEL = Melbourne // MUC = Munich // NAD = Nadi // SIN = Singapore // ULN = Ulaanbaatar