4 (Fri) September 2015
at Bacchus (Rydges South Bank Brisbane)
-South Bank, Brisbane-
Mission to the Solomon Islands, Day 6 (see previously 6.241 Grilled Chicken + Sausage).
On my way back to Manila. Spent the past week in Honiara, where I helped to facilitate a workshop on national health policy planning. Departed this afternoon, flying via Brisbane via Singapore, due to arrive home tomorrow afternoon — 29 hours, door to door (24 hours on the way in).
3 flights on the way in, 3 flights out, the trip will bestow opportunities to have 6 meals in the air: 4 on Singapore Airlines, 2 on Solomon Airlines.
Meal 4: lunch (IE 700) (HIR > BNE)
7-hour layover in Brisbane, plenty of time to score my first meal in the city.
MN, a colleague from my division, who is coincidentally flying back on the same route following an unrelated mission, elected to join me.
Essential criteria for choice of venue were as follows: (i) close to a train station; (ii) solid on-line reviews; (iii) Modern Australian.
Preferred criteria: (iv) emphasis on seafood; (v) upscale.
Not a lot of choices on the menu, which can be a good thing, especially when every one of them is tempting. Took us over half an hour to order.
PHENOMENAL. Despite the crappy main dish, everything else was so exquisite that it didn’t matter. Most notably the freebies — which could’ve constituted a fine meal in themselves — strategically served in between the paid items, elevating a relatively simple spread into an elegant 6-course dining experience. Confirming that Australia does good food (see for example 5.341 Cecina), even in a small city like Brisbane.
On the plane, I’m also attempting to try all 8 cocktails offered by Singapore Airlines (see generally 6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta), 2 per flight.
BEST IN CLASS – an on-going ranking of dining experiences on business class flights that I’ve taken, taking into consideration but not necessarily based on the average ratings of all items tried.
- Qatar Airlines — MNL>DOH(Doha) + DOH>DME(Moscow) (5.279 Assorted Hot Mezzah)(3.05); DME>DOH + DOH>MNL(Manila) ( (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns)(2.42)
- Asiana Airlines — ICN>MNL(Manila) (6.048 Ssambap)(4.0)
- Korean Air — ICN>NAD(Nadi) (5.175 Prestigious Repast) (2.5); MNL>ICN(Incheon) (6.021 Bibimbap)(2.5); MNL>ICN(Incheon) + ICN>NAD(Nadi) (6.101 Coconut Carrot Cream Soup)(2.4); NAD>ICN + ICN>MNL(Manila) (6.111 Asparagus Cream Soup)(2.13)
- * Singapore Airlines — MNL>SIN(Singapore) + SIN>BNE(Brisbane) (6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta)(2.5)
- Philippine Airlines — MNL>MEL(Melbourne) (5.335 Chicken Tausi)(2.63)
- Etihad Airways — MNL>AUH + AUH>AMM(Amman) (6.154 Shakshouka)(1.58); AMM>AUH + AUH>MNL (Manila) (6.160 Zaalou-Crusted Chicken Breast)(1.69)
- Cathay Pacific Airways — HKG>MNL(Manila) (5.182 Har Gao)(1.0)
- Fiji Airways — NAD>HKG(Hong Kong) (5.181 Sliced Roast Lamb) (1.0)
* Tentative, pending return flights.