5 (Sat) September 2015
in my apartment
Mission to the Solomon Islands, Day 7 (see previously 6.241 Scallops).
Home sweet home. Back from Honiara, where I spent Tuesday through Thursday last week helping to facilitate a workshop on national health policy planning. Departed yesterday afternoon, flying via Brisbane via Singapore, arriving this afternoon — 29 hours, door to door (24 hours on the way there).
Meal 5: breakfast (SQ 246) (BNE > SIN)
3 flights on the way in, 3 flights out, the trip offered 6 opportunities for meals in the air: 4 on Singapore Airlines, 2 on Solomon Airlines.
I tried all 8 cocktails offered by Singapore Airlines (see generally 6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta), 2 per flight.
Meal 6: lunch (SQ 910) (SIN > MNL)
Quite disappointed by the food on Singapore Airlines throughout the entire trip. While the creativity in menu choices could be commended, the execution fell short. The problem was that the highlight items would seem inherently unsuitable for the pre-cook/reheat process of in-flight service. By contrast, the South Asian curry rice dish that had previously impressed me on the same carrier’s economy class flight (see generally 3.282 Murgh Dum Biryani) was the kind of thing that would hold up quite well. Which proves that context/feasibility is an essential consideration in designing a menu. I did enjoy the desserts, probably because the rest of the meal had left me unsatisfied.
Next up, in November, I may be flying on back-to-back missions to Switzerland (airline TBC) and then to Fiji (likely Korean Air), both business class.
BEST IN CLASS – an on-going ranking of dining experiences on business class flights.
- Qatar Airlines — (i) MNL > DOH + (ii) DOH > DME (5.279 Assorted Hot Mezzah); (iii) DME > DOH + (iv) DOH > MNL ( (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns)
- Asiana Airlines — (i) ICN > MNL (6.048 Ssambap)
- Korean Air — (i) ICN > NAD (5.175 Prestigious Repast); (ii) MNL > ICN (6.021 Bibimbap); (iii) MNL > ICN + (iv) ICN > NAD (6.101 Coconut Carrot Cream Soup); (v) NAD > ICN + (vi) ICN > MNL (6.111 Asparagus Cream Soup)
- Singapore Airlines — (i) MNL > SIN + (ii) SIN > BNE (6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta); (iii) BNE > SIN + (iv) SIN > MNL (6.243 Ggongchi Kimchi Jjigae)
- Philippine Airlines — (i) MNL > MEL (5.335 Chicken Tausi)
- Etihad Airways — (i) MNL > AUH + (ii) AUH > AMM (6.154 Shakshouka); (iii) AMM > AUH + (iv) AUH > MNL (6.160 Zaalou-Crusted Chicken Breast)
- Cathay Pacific Airways — (i) HKG > MNL (5.182 Har Gao)
- Fiji Airways — (i) NAD > HKG (5.181 Sliced Roast Lamb)
AMM: Amman / AUH: Abu Dhabi / BNE: Brisbane / DOH: Doha / DME: Moscow / HKG: Hong Kong / ICN: Incheon / MEL: Melbourne / NAD: Nadi / SIN: Singapore
For dinner at home, classic Korean comfort food in a bowl of steamed rice and a pot of ggongchi-kimchi jjigae.