20 (Mon) February 2017
Grilled Seafood Selections
aboard Turkish Airlines TK 85
-Manila to Istanbul-
Mission to HQ, Day 1.
In Geneva. Here to attend a Scoping Meeting on the Ethics of Vector-Borne Diseases – Thu to Fri.
7th visit to Switzerland (see most recently 6.310 Mana à la Manor).
In flight, the food was quite good. Well-prepared, thoughtfully presented. Tasty. I even enjoyed the dessert.
At a literal level, the “chef” in uniform was a bit over-the-top – we know that she’s not actually cooking the food in a kitchen somewhere in the back of the plane. But then again, business class should present an elevated experience, so why not put on a good show?
First time on Turkish Airlines. I liked.
During the flight, I happened to watch the movie Inferno. It’s about a madman plot to release a lethal virus upon the world, with WHO playing a small but recurring role in the story, concluding in Istanbul. Meanwhile, I’m on a plane to Istanbul, on my way to attend a WHO meeting to discuss the ethics of addressing vector-borne disease. Fact check: WHO does not have a jet, WHO does not have SWAT teams, and WHO does not have some kind of supranational policing authority to show up on the scene, flash a badge at local law enforcement, and demand a situation report.
BEST IN CLASS – an on-going ranking of dining experiences on business class flights
- Qatar Airlines — MNL > DOH > DME (5.279 Assorted Hot Mezzah); DME > DOH > MNL ( (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns)
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines — GVA > AMS > ICN (6.311 Beef & Beetroot Meatballs)
- Asiana Airlines — MNL > ICN (2.036 Shin Ramyeon…); ICN > MNL (6.048 Ssambap); MNL > ICN (6.305 Chicken Congee); ICN > MNL (6.321 Ssambap)
- Singapore Airlines — MNL > SIN > BNE (6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta); BNE > SIN > MNL (6.243 Ggongchi Kimchi Jjigae)
- Turkish Airlines — MNL > IST (8.046 Grilled Seafood Selections)
- Korean Air — ICN > NAD (5.175 Prestigious Repast); MNL > ICN (6.021 Bibimbap); MNL > ICN > NAD (6.101 Coconut Carrot Cream Soup); NAD > ICN > MNL (6.111 Asparagus Cream Soup); ICN > NAD (6.314 Bibimbap); NAD > ICN (6.319 Seared Seafood…); MNL > ICN > JFK (7.032 Manhattan); JFK > ICN (7.039 Sauteed Cod Fillet); ICN > MNL (7.041 Gom Tang)
- Etihad Airways — MNL > AUH > AMM (6.154 Shakshouka); AMM > AUH > MNL (6.160 Zaalou-Crusted Chicken Breast)
- Thai Airways — MNL > BKK > DEL (7.306 Fried Black Cod …); DEL > BKK > MNL (7.313 Braised Pork Balls)
- Philippine Airlines — MNL > MEL (5.335 Chicken Tausi)
- Deutsche Lufthansa — ICN > MUC > GVA (6.307 Chicken in Cream Sauce)
- Cathay Pacific Airways — HKG > MNL (5.182 Har Gao)
- Fiji Airways — NAD > HKG (5.181 Sliced Roast Lamb)
AMM = Amman / AMS = Amsterdam / AUH = Abu Dhabi / BKK = Bangkok / BNE = Brisbane / DEL = New Delhi / DOH = Doha / DME (Domodedovo) = Moscow / GVA = Geneva / HKG = Hong Kong / ICN = Incheon / IST = Istanbul / JFK (John F Kennedy) = New York / MEL = Melbourne / MUC = Munich / NAD = Nadi / SIN = Singapore
Upon arrival, in search of lunch, I discovered a Turkish restaurant called Kebab Istanbul directly behind my hotel. Of course I did.