24 (Mon) December 2018
at Chosun Korean BBQ
-Los Angeles, California, USA-
with the Family
Winter Vacation in the USA, Day 6.
- Day 1: Seoul, Jinmi Pyeongyang Naeng Myeon (9.348 Mul Naeng Myeon) / 4.0
- Day 2: Los Angeles, Panda Express (9.349 Pea Shoots with Garlic) / 3.5
- Day 3: Los Angeles, El Cholo (9.350 Fish Tacos) / 1.5
- Day 4: Anaheim, Rollin Sushi Café (9.351 Dragon Roll + Nemo Roll) / 3.0
- Day 5: Buena Park, Medieval Times (9.352 Roasted Chicken) / 2.5
We’re spending our holiday in the States – first time for the boys – including Los Angeles and Orange County, Las Vegas, and Grand Canyon – the farthest (distance), longest (duration), and most complicated (itinerary) trip that we’ve ever taken.
After a few days at Disneyland, we’re back in LA for a breather before going to Vegas.
As a law student at USC, I lived in Koreatown.
My go-to restaurant for Korean BBQ was Chosun Korean BBQ.
Since then, the establishment has been dramatically renovated, at least as far as decor is concerned.
I don’t know how these prices compare to other restaurants in the neighborhood nowadays, but I wouldn’t have been able to afford eating here if the food had been so expensive back then – $35 for sam gyup sal (pork belly)?!
However, the fancier decor and higher prices don’t seem to have had much if any of a positive influence on the food, which was as competently unremarkable as ever.
The galbee (yangnyeom galbi) was a tad chewy with a slightly odd aftertaste, as if marinated in a bottled product containing too many additives.
Still, it was just the thing for a mid-trip rejuvenator.
Countries and cities outside of Korea where I’ve had Korean food in a restaurant:
- USA : 01.01 Silicon Valley (San Jose, Santa Clara, etc.) CA; 01.02 New York NY; 01.03 Boston MA; 01.04 Northern Virginia VA; 01.05 East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, etc.) CA; 01.06 Los Angeles CA (9.353 Chosun Galbee); 01.07 San Francisco CA; 01.08 San Diego CA; 01.12 Chicago IL; 01.13 Washington DC; 01.24 Guam (6.283 The Boss’s Beefy Birthday Bash)
- THA : 02.09 Bangkok; 02.10 Pattaya
- CHE : 03.11 Geneva
- GBR : 04.14 London
- CHN : 05.15 Beijing
- KHM : 06.16 Phnom Penh (3.269 Fried Beef with Red Ants)
- LAO : 07.17 Vientiane (3.272 Pho Ga)
- PHL : 08.18 Metro Manila (5.005 Ki for Ki) / 08.20 Batangas (5.223 Galbi Tang and More) / 08.28 Subic (8.324 Ssam Bap) / 08.29 Puerto Galera (8.365 Samgyeopsal)
- FJI : 09.19 Suva (5.178 Bibimbab)
- PNG : 10.21 Port Moresby (5.276 Spicy Chicken Muchim)
- RUS : 11.22 Moscow (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns…)
- AUS : 12.23 Melbourne (5.342 Crocodile Meat…)
- MYS : 13.25 Kuala Lumpur (6.333 Jacked — Three Ways)
- JPN : 14.26 Wakoshi (7.266 Gu Ba) / 14.27 Tokyo (8.202 Clam and Spicy Soft Tofu Stew)