8 (Sun) Feb 2015
at Jong Lo
TEKREM (Try Every Korean Restaurant in Ermita/Malate).
So long as I’m currently living in Ermita/Malate, a pair of neighborhoods that together constitute central Manila’s closest thing to a Koreatown, and while GMTD was never intended to be a Korean food blog but kinda is, I may as well attempt to eat at all the Korean eateries in the area, including those serving Korean-Chinese fare, and review them here. Currently 40 known establishments. Though doubting the discovery of any gems–in fact, I anticipate that most of the places will be similarly mediocre–the project should be interesting, if only in giving me a reason to get out and explore more of my environment.
This is 16th restaurant covered. 24 to go.
The following tiers (“Would I go back for more?”) relate to the overall dining experience, including all the dishes sampled, cost, ambiance, cleanliness, and any other factors that may apply, cumulative through multiple visits (if any).
Tier 1 (looking forward to return visit):
Tier 2 (okay, but not enthusiastically):
- (11) Myung Ga (5.346 Deep-Fried Okdom) / 2.5
- (2) Royal (5.123 Knee for Ki) / 3.5
- (15) Jung (6.029 Steamed Egg) / 3.25
- (9) Sinsun Seollong Tang (5.328 Seollong Tang) / 2.0
- (7) Bonchon (5.242 Soy Garlic Chicken) / 3.25
Tier 3 (only under dire circumstances):
- (6) Korean Palace (5.205 Haemul Pa Jeon) / 1.75
- (8) Hanchon Seolloong Tang* (5.251 Modeum Suyuk) / 3.0
- (5) Bug Gyoung (5.189 Gganpung Gi) / 1.25
- (12) Sinsun (6.003 Yukgyejang) / 2.0
- (3) Neoguri (5.141 Pa Dak) / 3.25
- (16) Jong Lo (6.034 Sundubu Jjigae) / 2.25
Tier 4 (to be avoided no matter what):
- (1) Maru* (5.030 Ggot Deung Sim…) / 1.0
- (4) Kim N’ Chi (5.163 Bibimbab) / 1.0
- (10) Go! Kizip (5.343 Cham Pong Myun) / 1.0
*no longer in business
The masochistically gluttonous “Try Every” series: (i) TERRP (Try Every Restaurant in Robinsons Place) (see generally 5.247 TERRP 85 KFC : Original Recipe Fried Chicken…); (ii) TEITY (Try Every Item at Tao Yuan) (in process) (see most recently 6.031 Fried Fish Skin); (iii) TERNWPPD* (Try Every Restaurant in New World Manila Bay Hotel, Pan-Pacific Manila, and Diamond Hotel Philippines) (in process) (see most recently 6.015 Jou Nigiri Sushi Moriawase); (iv) TERSK (Try Every Restaurant in St Kilda) (see generally 5.339 Roasted Squid); (v) TEKREM (Try Every Korean Restaurant in Ermita/Malate) (in process) (see most recently 6.029 Steamed Egg); (vi) TEIBR (Try Every Item at Bistro Remedios) (in process) (see most recently 6.014 Kare Karentang Butot Baka).
Jong Lo is a Korean restaurant. Mainstream.
The sundubu jjigae was okay, I guess.
But given the dinginess of the premises, the uninteresting menu, and crappy array of sides, I doubt that I’ll ever go back.
If TEKREM is going to be like this, I should end it before I waste more of my time/energy/opportunity.