21 (Sat) March 2015
at Hwangso Makchang
with JR, TL, CT, BB, DRC
TEKREM (Try Every Korean Restaurant in Ermita/Malate). So long as I’m currently living in Ermita/Malate, a pair of neighborhoods that together constitute central Manila’s closest thing to a Koreatown, and while GMTD was never intended to be a Korean food blog but kinda is, I may as well attempt to eat at all the Korean eateries in the area, including those serving Korean-Chinese fare, and review them here. Currently 40 known establishments. Though doubting the discovery of any gems–in fact, I anticipate that most of the places will be similarly mediocre–the project should be interesting, if only in giving me a reason to get out and explore more of my environment.
The following tiers (“Would I go back for more?”) relate to the overall dining experience, including all the dishes sampled, cost, ambiance, cleanliness, and any other factors that may apply, cumulative through multiple visits (if any).
Tier 1 (looking forward to return visit):
- (14) Jinsiang (6.016 Nakji Jjajmbbong) / 3.5
- (13) Jeonju (6.010 Jeonju Bibimbap) / 3.0
- (21) Chung Ki Wa (6.056 Cabbage Hangover Soup) / 3.0
- (22) Gyumon (6.069 Jo Karubi) / 3.0
Tier 2 (okay, but not enthusiastically):
- (11) Myung Ga (5.346 Deep-Fried Okdom) / 2.5
- (2) Royal (5.123 Knee for Ki) / 3.5
- (20) Jang Chung Dong (6.056 Ojingeo Bokum) / 2.5
- (15) Jung (6.029 Steamed Egg) / 3.25
- (9) Sinsun Seollong Tang (5.328 Seollong Tang) / 2.0
- (24) Hwangso Ga (6.074 Buffet) / 3.0
- (7) Bonchon (5.242 Soy Garlic Chicken) / 3.25
- (18) Seokchon (6.050 Chamcha Myun) / 2.5
- (19) Kim’s Jjamppong Food (6.050 Jjam Ja Myun) / 2.5
Tier 3 (only under dire circumstances):
- (6) Korean Palace (5.205 Haemul Pa Jeon) / 1.75
- (8) Hanchon Seolloong Tang* (5.251 Modeum Suyuk) / 3.0
- (5) Bug Gyoung (5.189 Gganpung Gi) / 1.25
- (12) Sinsun (6.003 Yukgyejang) / 2.0
- (23) Hwangso Makchang (6.074 Makchang) / 1.5
- (3) Neoguri (5.141 Pa Dak) / 3.25
- (16) Jong Lo (6.034 Sundubu Jjigae) / 2.25
- (17) Ulkeun (6.035 Ulkeun Chicken Gizzaed) / 1.0
Tier 4 (to be avoided no matter what):
- (1) Maru* (5.030 Ggot Deung Sim…) / 1.0
- (4) Kim N’ Chi (5.163 Bibimbab) / 1.0
- (10) Go! Kizip (5.343 Cham Pong Myun) / 1.0
*no longer in business
Our old friend and colleague JR is back in town! Now with WR KHM as the NCD focal point, he’s in town to support the country’s MOH delegation at a meeting next week concerning the RAP on DBM*.
Given a list of options for his welcome back dinner, he opted for Korean BBQ.
*If you don’t already know any of these abbreviations, then you don’t need to.
The food was whatever. Nothing particularly wrong with any of it, but nothing particularly good either.
Disappointing, as I’d been looking forward to featuring BBQ for the first time since starting TEKREM.
This post–the third post to feature a meal that hasn’t yet occurred on the blog’s official timeline–covers two restaurants, different dates, one for dinner, the other for lunch. I will do this whenever possible to accelerate the completion of TEKREM.
The two restaurants are under the same ownership.
23 and 24 down, 17 to go.
28 (Sat) Mar 2015
Despite all indications to the contrary–a buffet, a cheap buffet, Korean food, in Ermita, at lunch, by myself–I enjoyed the experience. Most important, everything tasted authentic, just like it would be at an equivalent establishment in Korea. Granted, nothing was all that great, but good enough. And so much variety, I had a great time sampling it all.
Although I doubt that I’d come back for the food per se, this could be a decent place to drink and hang out with the gang.
The masochistically gluttonous “Try Every” series: (i) TERRP (…Restaurant in Robinsons Place) (see completed 5.247 TERRP 85 KFC : Original Recipe Fried Chicken…); (ii) TEITY (..Item at Tao Yuan) (see most recently 6.055 The Penultimate); (iii) TERNWPPD (…Restaurant in New World, Pan-Pacific, Diamond) (see most recently 6.069 Jo Karubi); (iv) TERSK (…Restaurant in St Kilda) (see completed 5.339 Roasted Squid); (v) TEKREM (…Korean Restaurant in Ermita/Malate) (see most recently 6.069 Jo Karubi); (vi) TEIBR (…Item at Bistro Remedios) (see most recently 6.070 Chicken and Pork Adobo).