10 (Fri) July 2015
from Cocomoon [delivery]
in my new apartment
with K staff
TEKREM (Try Every Korean Restaurant in Ermita/Malate).
So long as I’m currently living in Ermita/Malate, a pair of neighborhoods that together constitute central Manila’s closest thing to a Koreatown, and while GMTD was never intended to be a Korean food blog but kinda is, I may as well attempt to eat at all the Korean eateries in the area, including those serving Korean-Chinese fare, and review them here. Currently 45 known establishments. Though doubting the discovery of any gems–in fact, I anticipate that most of the places will be similarly mediocre–the project should be interesting, if only in giving me a reason to get out and explore more of my environment.
The following tiers (“Would I go back for more?”) relate to the overall dining experience, including all the dishes sampled, cost, ambiance, cleanliness, and any other factors that may apply, cumulative through multiple visits (if any).
Tier 1 (looking forward to return visit):
- (14) > Jinsiang ! (6.016 Nakji Jjajmbbong) / 3.5
- (13) Jeonju ! (6.010 Jeonju Bibimbap) / 3.0
- (21) Chung Ki Wa ! (6.056 Cabbage Hangover Soup) / 3.0
- (22) Gyumon (6.069 Jo Karubi) / 3.0
- (25) > Café Chosun ! (6.079 Chosun Set) / 3.25
- (39) > Yuk Daejang ! (6.175 Old Traditional Yukgaejang) / 2.5
Tier 2 (okay, but not enthusiastically):
- (11) Myung Ga ! (5.346 Deep-Fried Okdom) / 2.5
- (2) Royal ! (5.123 Knee for Ki) / 3.5
- (24) Hwangso Ga ! (6.074 Buffet) / 3.0
- (28) Arirang Hotel ! (6.093 Dubu Jjigae) / 2.5
- (15) Jung ! (6.029 Steamed Egg) / 3.25
- (38) Hwang Janggun ! (6.175 Agu Jjim) / 1.75
- (30) Moiza (6.117 Fried Chicken) / 3.25
- (20) Jang Chung Dong (6.056 Ojingeo Bokum) / 2.5
- (9) Sinsun Seollong Tang (5.328 Seollong Tang) / 2.0
- (18) Seokchon (6.050 Chamcha Myun) / 2.5
- (19) Kim’s Jjamppong Food ! (6.050 Jjam Ja Myun) / 2.5
- (33) Ssangdungi Restaurant ! (6.136 Sundudujjigye) / 2.5
- (31) Chimak (6.117 Fried Chicken) / 2.5
- (7) Bonchon (5.242 Soy Garlic Chicken) / 3.25
Tier 3 (only under dire circumstances):
- (6) Korean Palace (5.205 Haemul Pa Jeon) / 1.75
- (8) Hanchon Seolloong Tang ^ (5.251 Modeum Suyuk) / 3.0
- (5) Bug Gyoung (5.189 Gganpung Gi) / 1.25
- (12) Sinsun (6.003 Yukgyejang) / 2.0
- (40) Cocomoon (6.186 Andong Jjimdak) / 1.5
- (26) Korean Village (6.084 Mushrooms) / 2.5
- (36) > Sin ChuKuMi (6.168 ChuSam) / 1.5
- (41) Donizi (6.186 Yeolmu Bibimbap) / 1.0
- (27) Dwaeji Bang (6.093 Samgyeopsal) / 2.5
- (23) > Hwangso Makchang ! (6.074 Makchang) / 1.5
- (34) Hwaroin (6.141 Dweji Bulgogi) / 1.25
- (3) Neoguri (5.141 Pa Dak) / 3.25 (> reopened as Kang Nam)
- (32) > Brothers (6.136 Haemul Pa Jeon) / 2.25
- (16) Jong Lo (6.034 Sundubu Jjigae) / 2.25
- (17) Ulkeun (6.035 Ulkeun Chicken Gizzaed) / 1.0
- (35) Bon Jovi (6.141 Jeyuk Bokum) / 1.0
- (37) Jo-Bang Nakgi (6.168 Jo-Bang Nakgi) / 1.5
Tier 4 (to be avoided no matter what):
- (1) Maru ^ (5.030 Ggot Deung Sim…) / 1.0
- (4) Kim N’ Chi (5.163 Bibimbab) / 1.0
- (10) Go! Kizip (5.343 Cham Pong Myun) / 1.0
- (29) KP2 ! (6.097 Ganjang Gejang) / 1.0
^ no longer in business
> new restaurant, opened after TEKREM began
! an emerging theme, not-so-surprising, is that the restaurants with on-site Korean management tend to demonstrate closer authenticity, though not necessarily higher quality
41 down, 4 to go.
Andong jjimdak is a Korean chicken dish. Typically a whole chicken (dak), cut into small pieces, braised (jjim) in a sweetish soy-based sauce made super-spicy with green chilies, along with onions, potatoes, carrots, and glass noodles. Similar to dak dori tang, which instead involves red chili paste (gochujang) as the main flavor/heat element. Attributed to the southern town of Andong, though origin stories wildly vary.
In line with my general aversion to spicy food, jjimdak is one of my least favorite Korean dishes.
Even worse, the jjimdak from Cocomoon was all heat, no flavor.
The food was meh across the board.
On the bright side, I did appreciate that they delivered the food in decent time and on porcelain plates (which we later took back).
As such, I leave open the possibility of ordering other items from Cocomoon should I ever need to feed people in a pinch — people whom I’m not interested in impressing.
* * * *
24 (Wed) June 2015
Yeolmu Bibimbap + Doenjang Jjigae
The masochistically gluttonous “Try Every” series :
- TERRP (…Restaurant in Robinsons Place) (see completed 5.247 TERRP 85 KFC : Original Recipe Fried Chicken…)
- TEITY (..Item at Tao Yuan) (see completed 6.095 DONE)
- TERNWPPD (…Restaurant in New World, Pan-Pacific, Diamond) (see completed 6.081 Lobster, Baby.)
- TERSK (…Restaurant in St Kilda) (see completed 5.339 Roasted Squid)
- TEKREM (…Korean Restaurant in Ermita/Malate) (see most recently 6.175 The General vs The Boss)
- TEIBR (…Item at Bistro Remedios) (see most recently 6.161 Manggang Hilaw at Bagoong)
- TETRITSA (…Thai Restaurant in the International Terminal of Suvarnabhumi Airport) (see most recently 6.069 Spicy Stir-Fried Shrimp & Seafood with Basil)
This is the 10th post to cover two restaurants from different dates, one for dinner, the other for lunch. I will do this whenever possible to accelerate the completion of TEKREM.