12 (Thu) November 2015
Beef & Beetroot Meatballs
by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
on Flight KL 855
-Somewhere over Europe-
Mission to Switzerland, Day 5 (see previously 6.310 Mana à la Manor).
In Chavannes-de-Bogis (suburb 20 kilometers north of Geneva). Arrived Sunday. Attended a meeting on diet and physical activity, Monday through yesterday. Going back to Korea tonight.
Meal 1 : lunch (KL 1932 / GVA > AMS)
On the road for the next two weeks, attending a pair of missions, back to back, Switzerland, then Fiji. Arranged the itinerary — MNL > ICN > GVA > ICN > NAD > ICN > MNL — to allow for three consecutive weekends at home, starting yesterday, though only for a day and a half per stop, the second one starting tomorrow. I’ll take my blessings however they may come.
Meal 2 : snack (Amsterdam Airport Schiphol KLM Crown Lounge)
After the underwhelming experience on Lufthansa coming in, I was happily surprised to hear that our flight going out had been cancelled due to the airline strike and reassigned to KLM, which would offer me a first look at the carrier’s business class.
Meal 3 : dinner (KL 855 / AMS > ICN)
Through both flights, as well as the business lounge, KLM provided one of the best extended business class experiences that I’ve enjoyed. The food itself was just okay, but the attention to detail and excellent service elevated everything to a higher level.
Meal 4 : breakfast (KL 855 / AMS > ICN)
BEST IN CLASS – an on-going ranking of dining experiences on business class flights.
- Qatar Airlines — MNL > DOH > DME (5.279 Assorted Hot Mezzah); DME > DOH > MNL ( (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns)
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines — GVA > AMS > ICN (6.311 Beef & Beetroot Meatballs)
- Asiana Airlines — ICN > MNL (6.048 Ssambap); MNL > ICN (6.305 Chicken Congee)
- Korean Air — ICN > NAD (5.175 Prestigious Repast); MNL > ICN (6.021 Bibimbap); MNL > ICN > NAD (6.101 Coconut Carrot Cream Soup); NAD > ICN > MNL (6.111 Asparagus Cream Soup)
- Singapore Airlines — MNL > SIN > BNE (6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta); BNE > SIN > MNL (6.243 Ggongchi Kimchi Jjigae)
- Philippine Airlines — MNL > MEL (5.335 Chicken Tausi)
- Etihad Airways — MNL > AUH > AMM (6.154 Shakshouka); AMM > AUH > MNL (6.160 Zaalou-Crusted Chicken Breast)
- Deutsche Lufthansa — ICN > MUC > GVA (6.307 Chicken in Cream Sauce)
- Cathay Pacific Airways — HKG > MNL (5.182 Har Gao)
- Fiji Airways — NAD > HKG (5.181 Sliced Roast Lamb)
AMM = Amman / AMS = Amsterdam / AUH = Abu Dhabi / BNE = Brisbane / DOH = Doha / DME = Moscow / GVA = Geneva / HKG = Hong Kong / ICN = Incheon / MEL = Melbourne / MUC = Munich / NAD = Nadi / SIN = Singapore
As always, I should note that I am grateful for and respectful of the opportunity to travel, especially via business class. Any comments here, positive and negative, are relative to other business class experiences.