30 (Wed) December 2015
at Bistro Remedios
with the family
New Year with the Family, Day 5 (see previously 6.358 Pork Tenderloin Elaina).
After spending the first 10 days of my winter holiday in Seoul (see most recently 6.354 Christmas Special Dinner), the remaining 6 days will be here in Manila. Arrived together Saturday morning. The wife and kids fly back on January 2.
TEIBR (Try Every Item at Bistro Remedios).
A highly regarded landmark restaurant that serves excellent mainstream Filipino fare, I was attempting to eat my way through it. Everything on the menu (except desserts, unless someone else orders it). 75 items in all. While spending the vast majority of the past couple in the Philippines, I haven’t taken substantial advantage of the opportunity to get fully immersed into the cuisine, much to my regret. TEIBR would’ve led me down the right path—a higher purpose.
However, I’ve decided to fold. Kinda tired of the food. With few friends in the neighborhood these days, dinner party opportunities there are far between, and it’s not a place where I want to eat alone. Takeout is out of the question, because the kitchen is stupid slow — even for the Philippines — which would require me to wait 45 minutes to get the food — and no, they won’t accept orders over the phone. The final straw is that they recently expanded the menu to include an additional 12 items. Forget it.
1 new item tonight (from the original menu), 38 items down total, 37 remaining (+12) — at least I got just beyond the halfway point — 10th visit to the restaurant, averaging 3.8 items per visit, on pace to complete the project at TEIBR 20 (+3).
Quite fitting that the final meal of TEIBR should include adobong kangkong, my favorite Filipino dish.
But the chunks of lechon kawali on top were a bit dry and flavorless.
The family wasn’t impressed.
The masochistically gluttonous “Try Every” series :
- TERRP (…Restaurant in Robinsons Place) (see completed 5.247 TERRP 85 KFC : Original Recipe Fried Chicken…)
- TEITY (..Item at Tao Yuan) (see completed 6.095 DONE)
- TERNWPPD (…Restaurant in New World, Pan-Pacific, Diamond) (see completed 6.081 Lobster, Baby.)
- TERSK (…Restaurant in St Kilda) (see completed 5.339 Roasted Squid)
- TEKREM (…Korean Restaurant in Ermita/Malate) (see completed 6.207 Dok + Ok)
- TEIBR (…Item at Bistro Remedios) (see most recently 6.161 Manggang Hilaw…)
- TETRITSA (…Thai Restaurant in the International Terminal of Suvarnabhumi Airport) (see most recently 6.069 Spicy Stir-Fried Shrimp & Seafood with Basil)