11.302 Godeongeo Jorim


2 (Mon) November 2020

Godeongeo Jorim


by W

at home

-Changgok, Sujeong, Seongnam, Gyeonggi, Republic of Korea-


Les Crâniés Aquatique Culinaire à la Corée (1)

Inspired by the fish counter at our local supermarket (see 11.229 Gwangeo Hoe), this is part of a recurring series on Give Me This Day to explore food fishes that are available in Korea and how they are prepared.

(For other posts in the series, see CULINARY AQUATIC CRANIATES A COREE)

I will feature salted and canned godeungeo in future posts.

Godeungeo (고등어) is a type of mackerel.  Linnaean classification: family Scombridae, genus Scomber, species S. japonicus.  Known in English as “chub mackerel.”  In Korea, if godeungeo is not the most popular or most widely consumed fish, then at least it’s the most recognized – i.e., à la Family Feud: “Top 5 answers on the board.  We asked 100 Korean people, what kind of fish would you find on the dinner table?”  Godeungeo is sold fresh (unsalted), salted, and canned – each prepared in a different way.

By far – and I mean like 90%; I don’t know what the remaining 10% would comprise, but I’ll concede 10% just in case – the most common method of preparation for fresh godeungeo is jorim (braised) (see 1.045 Mackerel Jorim with Pan-Fried Tofu) – indeed, the Wikipedia page for chub mackerel (see link above) notes: “Jorim is a Korean dish made with tofu, vegetables, meat and seafood. Mackerel is also one of the most popular foods for Koreans as jorim.”  The spicy soy sauce pairs well with the briny oiliness of the fish; the vegetables in the sauce, such as potatoes, carrots, radish, are excellent accompaniments for steamed rice.  Readily available, cheap, easy to cook, tasty, healthy, leftovers keep well.

I got a deal on 2 fresh ones for 10,000 won, which the fishmonger cleaned and then, without even asking, cut into large chunks on the assumption that it’d be braised.

W makes a decent mackerel jorim.  If only she’d cut the vegetables thicker.

Wrapped in romaine, why not.

(For more details re food, see WHAT)

(For more details re venue, see WHERE IN KOREA)

Leave a Reply