26 (Thu) March 2015
at Café Chosun
with DRC, TL, JR, et al.
TEKREM (Try Every Korean Restaurant in Ermita/Malate). So long as I’m currently living in Ermita/Malate, a pair of neighborhoods that together constitute central Manila’s closest thing to a Koreatown, and while GMTD was never intended to be a Korean food blog but kinda is, I may as well attempt to eat at all the Korean eateries in the area, including those serving Korean-Chinese fare, and review them here. Currently 40 known establishments. Though doubting the discovery of any gems–in fact, I anticipate that most of the places will be similarly mediocre–the project should be interesting, if only in giving me a reason to get out and explore more of my environment.
The following tiers (“Would I go back for more?”) relate to the overall dining experience, including all the dishes sampled, cost, ambiance, cleanliness, and any other factors that may apply, cumulative through multiple visits (if any)–subject to change.
Tier 1 (looking forward to return visit):
- (14) Jinsiang (6.016 Nakji Jjajmbbong) / 3.5
- (13) Jeonju (6.010 Jeonju Bibimbap) / 3.0
- (21) Chung Ki Wa (6.056 Cabbage Hangover Soup) / 3.0
- (22) Gyumon (6.069 Jo Karubi) / 3.0
- (25) Café Chosun (6.079 Chosun Set) / 3.25
Tier 2 (okay, but not enthusiastically):
- (11) Myung Ga (5.346 Deep-Fried Okdom) / 2.5
- (2) Royal (5.123 Knee for Ki) / 3.5
- (20) Jang Chung Dong (6.056 Ojingeo Bokum) / 2.5
- (15) Jung (6.029 Steamed Egg) / 3.25
- (9) Sinsun Seollong Tang (5.328 Seollong Tang) / 2.0
- (24) Hwangso Ga (6.074 Buffet) / 3.0
- (7) Bonchon (5.242 Soy Garlic Chicken) / 3.25
- (18) Seokchon (6.050 Chamcha Myun) / 2.5
- (19) Kim’s Jjamppong Food (6.050 Jjam Ja Myun) / 2.5
Tier 3 (only under dire circumstances):
- (6) Korean Palace (5.205 Haemul Pa Jeon) / 1.75
- (8) Hanchon Seolloong Tang* (5.251 Modeum Suyuk) / 3.0
- (5) Bug Gyoung (5.189 Gganpung Gi) / 1.25
- (12) Sinsun (6.003 Yukgyejang) / 2.0
- (23) Hwangso Makchang (6.074 Makchang) / 1.5
- (3) Neoguri (5.141 Pa Dak) / 3.25
- (16) Jong Lo (6.034 Sundubu Jjigae) / 2.25
- (17) Ulkeun (6.035 Ulkeun Chicken Gizzaed) / 1.0
Tier 4 (to be avoided no matter what):
- (1) Maru* (5.030 Ggot Deung Sim…) / 1.0
- (4) Kim N’ Chi (5.163 Bibimbab) / 1.0
- (10) Go! Kizip (5.343 Cham Pong Myun) / 1.0
*no longer in business
A nice experience overall. While the meat was okay, if unremarkable, the extras made up for it mushrooms, onion, tofu, unlimited bean sprouts, even the little sausages, not necessarily in flavor but at least in fun, particularly for novices to this kind of eating (one of them asked: “Are you allowed to cook kimchi??”). The sides were relatively diverse and dynamic. And the large griddle allowed for cooking everything at once, requiring less fuss. Service was quick, efficient, and helpful. So far, this is the place to beat where BBQ is concerned.
The masochistically gluttonous “Try Every” series: (i) TERRP (…Restaurant in Robinsons Place) (see completed 5.247 TERRP 85 KFC : Original Recipe Fried Chicken…); (ii) TEITY (..Item at Tao Yuan) (see most recently 6.055 The Penultimate); (iii) TERNWPPD (…Restaurant in New World, Pan-Pacific, Diamond) (see most recently 6.069 Jo Karubi); (iv) TERSK (…Restaurant in St Kilda) (see completed 5.339 Roasted Squid); (v) TEKREM (…Korean Restaurant in Ermita/Malate) (see most recently 6.074 Makchang); (vi) TEIBR (…Item at Bistro Remedios) (see most recently 6.070 Chicken and Pork Adobo).