30 (Wed) March 2016
Stir-Fried Sweet & Sour Pork, Sweet Fruits
at Li Li
(New World Manila Bay)
with K staff, WR KHM et al.
The past two days devoted to testing dishes for potential inclusion on the inaugural menu (see previously 7.084 Braised Assorted Wild Mushrooms…), tonight was the first official K staff dinner hosted at Li Li — bidding farewell to an old member of the family and welcoming a new one.
The Sweet & Sour Pork was okay. Included to represent pork, as well as something deep-fried. All-time favorite for Koreans (see generally 5.025 Tangsu Yuk). Though never having tried the dish here, I was confident enough in the kitchen to order it on faith. Respectable if unremarkable.
The pilot menu, version alpha, comprising 9 courses = 7 dishes previously sampled + 2 first-time dishes:
- Deep-Fried Golden Mushrooms, Dried Scallops (3.5) (see generally 7.064 Deep-Fried Golden Mushrooms…)
- Sweet Corn Soup, Crab Meat, Asparagus (4.0) (see generally 6.046 Pan-Fried Egg Bean Curd…)
- Sichuan-Style Wok-Fried Shrimps (3.5) (see generally 7.084 Braised Assorted Wild Mushrooms…)
- Deep-Fried Oolong Tea-Smoked Chicken (4.0) (see generally 7.077 Deep-Fried Oolong Tea-Smoked Chicken)
- Stir-Fried Sweet & Sour Pork, Fresh Fruits (2.5)
- Pan-Fried Egg Bean Curd, Scallop, Shrimp (4.0) (see generally 6.046 Pan-Fried Egg Bean Curd…).
- Braised Assorted Wild Mushrooms & Mixed Vegetables in Casserole (4.0) (see generally 7.084 Braised Assorted Wild Mushrooms…)
- Yeung Chow-Style Fried Rice (2.5)
- Chilled Mango Pudding (3.5) (see generally 7.073 Chilled Mango Pudding)
Near perfection, except for the 2 first-time dishes. Best meal that I’ve orchestrated in Manila yet (see also 6.337 Pipa Tofu (Maria Orosa), 6.233 The New Spread… (Golden Fortune), 5.332 The Pilot Spread (Tao Yuan), 5.249 Deep-Fried Tofu… (Seafood Market)), though I wasn’t in a position to enjoy it, being under pressure to ensure that the service proceeded smoothly.
With a few adjustments, Pilot – Beta looks promising.