21 (Thu) November 2019
Fried King Lobster with Garlic & Black Pepper
Mission to Thailand, Day 3.
- Day 1 (10.318 Thai Omelette Stuffed with Minced Pork and Vegetable)
- Day 2 (10.319 Maine Lobster in Thai Chili Sauce)
In Bangkok. Here to participate in a consultation – “Innovations for Strengthening National Capacities in Health Law & Ethics” – as a pre-event at the 51st Conference of the Asia-Pacific Academic Consortium on Public Health. I had attended a similar event in Malaysia last year (see 9.249 Ostrich in Oyster Sauce).
So long as I was in Thailand, I stayed an extra day to dive.
I went through Real Divers, a dive shop based in Pattaya. The crew was professional, facilities were immaculate (including a high-speed boat), services were top-notch (including a lunch of pad thai).
Alas, the diving itself was crappy, very very poor visibility, though I was assured that Pattaya can be excellent when the conditions are favorable.
Anyway, Thailand is the 8th country and the Gulf of Thailand is the 10th body of water where I’ve enjoyed the privilege of diving.
- Philippines, Balayan Bay (Anilao) (9.042 Garlic Squid + Buttered Vegetables); Batangas Bay (Puerto Galera) (9.115 Budae Jjigae)
- Fiji, Nadi Bay (Nadi) (6.104 Seared Mahi Mahi); Pacific Harbour (Pacific Harbour) (10.189 Clouds in Sky)
- Maldives, Arabian Sea (Male) (9.190 Grilled Snapper)
- Malaysia, Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park (Kota Kinabalu) (9.248 Homemade Chicken Curry)
- Jordan, Red Sea (Aqaba) (9.265 Mixed Grill)
- Lebanon, Mediterranean Sea (Beirut) (see 9.334 Deep-Fried Red Mullet)
- United Arab Emirates, Persian/Arabian Gulf (Abu Dhabi) (10.299 Black Pepper Chicken)
- Thailand, Gulf of Thailand (Pattaya) (10.320 Fried King Lobster with Garlic & Lobster)
At the 7-Eleven on the ground floor of the hotel, I had a blast buying local sauces, seasonings, and noodles to kick start my exploration of Thai cooking when I get home.
Alas, the lobster, major meh. The meat was overcooked and dry. The deep-fried garlic was dry and overseasoned. And what a mess.