3 (Tue) January 2017
Noodles with Minced Pork Sauce
at Din Tai Fung
-Bonifacio High Street, BGC-
with W and the Boyz
My experiences with Din Tai Fung across the world (in order of preference) :
- Manila – Bonifacio High Street — excellent
- Manila – SM Megamall (7.214 Shrimp & Pork Shaomai; 7.184 Xiaolongbao) — excellent
- Kuala Lumpur (6.332 Pork Xiao Long Bao) – competent
- Taipei (5.110 (Chicken?) Xiaolongbao) – disappointing
- Seoul (3.202 Steamed Shrimp & Pork Shaomai) – terrible
Come to think of it, I’ve eaten at Din Tai Fung in more countries than any other full service restaurant — topped overall only by fast food McDonald’s at 6 (USA, Switzerland, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Egypt).
Whereas the restaurant scene in Manila is inarguably the global leader in style over substance — so slick in terms of branding, decor, presentation; so shabby in terms of freshness, service, preparation — I’m happily surprised that the Din Tai Fung here would seem, at least in my perception, to be the best in the whole wide world.