31 (Thu) October 2019
Black Pepper Chicken
by Hoi An
at Horizon Lounge
-Qaryat al Beri, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates-
with the Family
Family Holiday Fall 2019 in UAE, Day 5.
- Day 1 (10.295 Tofu & Mushroom Spring Roll with Hoi Sin Sauce)
- Day 2 (10.296 Grilled Shaari Eshkeli and More)
- Day 3 (10.297 Seafood Grill)
- Day 4 (10.298 Catch Sour)
In Abu Dhabi. We’re spending the boys’ fall break in the United Arab Emirates, both Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
More options than the Shangri-La in Dubai (see 10.296 Grilled Shaari Eshkeli and More), but the noodle station did not offer the full range of condiments.
The boys were very impressed that Emiratis eat gummy cola bottles and ice cream for breakfast.
After two days of cancellations in Dubai due to bad weather, DJ and I were blessed with clear skies this morning to allow for a couple dives in Abu Dhabi.
The dives themselves were crap – one of the other divers said, “It’s a desert under the water, too.” – but at least I’ve done it.
UAE is the 7th country and Persian/Arabian Gulf is the 9th body of water where I’ve enjoyed the privilege of diving.
- Philippines, Balayan Bay (Anilao) (9.042 Garlic Squid + Buttered Vegetables); Batangas Bay (Puerto Galera) (9.115 Budae Jjigae)
- Fiji, Nadi Bay (Nadi) (6.104 Seared Mahi Mahi); Pacific Harbour (Pacific Harbour) (10.189 Clouds in Sky)
- Maldives, Arabian Sea (Male) (9.190 Grilled Snapper)
- Malaysia, Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park (Kota Kinabalu) (9.248 Homemade Chicken Curry)
- Jordan, Red Sea (Aqaba) (9.265 Mixed Grill)
- Lebanon, Mediterranean Sea (Beirut) (see 9.334 Deep-Fried Red Mullet)
- United Arab Emirates, Persian/Arabian Gulf (Abu Dhabi) (10.299 Black Pepper Chicken)
We spent the afternoon at the Louvre Abu Dhabi.
At that steakhouse in Wellington last week (see 10.291 Wellington Sourdough), the twit of a server kept using “awesome” as a simple affirmative to everything – Me: “I’ll start with the sourdough.” Her: “Awesome.” Me: “And the ribeye.” Her: How would you like it cooked?” Me: “Medium rare.” Her: “Awesome.”
The Louvre Abu Dhabi was awesome.
Again, we were too tired to go out and ate dinner in the lounge. We were pleased that the options included tasty hot dishes prepared by the in-house Vietnamese restaurant Hoi An, where we probably would’ve ended up had the lounge not been to our satisfaction. No exaggeration, the 4 of us finished 2/3 of the chicken tray.
BEST IN CLUB – an on-going ranking of dining experiences in hotel club lounges:
- Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore (9.082 Horse Doovers)
- New World Manila Bay, Manila, Philippines (6.360 Lobster, Maybe)
- Shangri-La Hotel, Abu Dhabi, UAE (10.299 Black Pepper Chicken)
- Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa, Bandar Sunway, Malaysia (8.355 Seared Tuna Canapes)
- Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai, UAE (10.295 Tofu & Mushroom Spring Roll with Hoi Sin Sauce)