14 (Tue) January 2020
Tom Yam Goong
-Dasmariñas Village, Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines-
with the Family
A critical step in making stock from shrimp shells is first to stir-fry them in oil over high heat to burn off the surface fishiness and intensify the remaining goodness, then adding water.
Cooking with sauce packets is no way to master a dish for the long run, but it does facilitate the initial orientation to understand what’s involved.
Here, I learned the importance of seasoning at the very end with high quality fish sauce, which enriches, and fresh lemon/lime juice, which elevates.
I also learned that kaffir lime leaves contribute that distinctive spicy zing to the flavor profile.
The tom yam turned out much better than the previous attempt (see for comparison (10.333 Tom Yum Goong), which I attribute to the fresher feel of the Blue Elephant brand sauce packet and to the use of more fresh ingredients, including freshly peeled shrimp (goong).
Other dishes with ingredients from the Thai Treasure Trove:
- 10.323 Pan-Grilled Lemongrass Chicken (2.0)
- 10.324 Lobster Flavor King Noodle – Deluxe (2.0)
- 10.333 Tom Yum Goong (2.0)
- 10.335 Mushu SPAM (2.0)
- 10.338 Shrimp & Pork Spring Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce (3.0)
- 10.343 Chicken Wings with Sweet Chili Sauce (3.0)
- 10.350 Pak Boong Fai Daeng (3.0)
- 10.351 Chicken Pad Ka Prow (2.0)
- 10.364 Pad Ka Prow with Pork & Asparagus (2.5)
- 11.002 Shrimp, Potatoes & Asparagus in Yellow Curry (2.5)