24 (Sat) February 2018
Grilled Seafood Selections
(with sautéed leaf spinach, château potatoes, caper butter)
aboard Turkish Airlines – TK 85
-Manila en route to Istanbul-
Mission to HQ, Day 1.
In Geneva. Here to attend an Inception Meeting on a Global Programme for Building Legal Capacity to Address Unhealthy Diet – Wednesday to Thursday. Came in a couple days early, just to relax a bit.
8th visit to Switzerland (see most recently 8.052 Köfte + Piliç).
The meal fell short of expectations, compared to my last voyage on the TK. The appetizers were ornate, yet poorly executed. The main was austere, yet poorly executed. I was left thoroughly unsatisfied.
Hoping for redemption on the way back.
As always, I am grateful for and respectful of the opportunity to travel, especially via business class. Any comments here, even the negative ones, are simply relative to other business class experiences, not complaints per se.
BEST IN CLASS – an on-going ranking of dining experiences on business class flights:
- Qatar Airlines — MNL > DOH > DME (5.279 Assorted Hot Mezzah); DME > DOH > MNL ( (5.286 Chili Mango Prawns)
- Singapore Airlines — MNL > SIN > BNE (6.237 Coconut Panna Cotta); BNE > SIN > MNL (6.243 Ggongchi Kimchi Jjigae)
- Turkish Airlines — MNL > IST (8.046 Grilled Seafood Selections); GVA > IST (8.051 Fresh Herb Baby Chicken); IST > MNL (8.052 Köfte + Piliç); MNL > IST > GVA (9.050 Grilled Seafood Selection)
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines — GVA > AMS > ICN (6.311 Beef & Beetroot Meatballs)
- Asiana Airlines — MNL > ICN (2.036 Shin Ramyeon…); ICN > MNL (6.048 Ssambap); MNL > ICN (6.305 Chicken Congee); ICN > MNL (6.321 Ssambap); ICN > MNL (8.261 Ssambap)
- Korean Air — ICN > NAD (5.175 Prestigious Repast); MNL > ICN (6.021 Bibimbap); MNL > ICN > NAD (6.101 Coconut Carrot Cream Soup); NAD > ICN > MNL (6.111 Asparagus Cream Soup); ICN > NAD (6.314 Bibimbap); NAD > ICN (6.319 Seared Seafood…); MNL > ICN > JFK (7.032 Manhattan); JFK > ICN (7.039 Sauteed Cod Fillet); ICN > MNL (7.041 Gom Tang); MNL > ICN (9.012 Chicken in Tomato Sauce with Pasta)
- Etihad Airways — MNL > AUH > AMM (6.154 Shakshouka); AMM > AUH > MNL (6.160 Zaalou-Crusted Chicken Breast)
- Thai Airways — MNL > BKK > DEL (7.306 Fried Black Cod …); DEL > BKK > MNL (7.313 Braised Pork Balls)
- Philippine Airlines — MNL > MEL (5.335 Chicken Tausi)
- Deutsche Lufthansa — ICN > MUC > GVA (6.307 Chicken in Cream Sauce)
- Cathay Pacific Airways — HKG > MNL (5.182 Har Gao)
- Fiji Airways — NAD > HKG (5.181 Sliced Roast Lamb)
AMM = Amman / AMS = Amsterdam / AUH = Abu Dhabi / BKK = Bangkok / BNE = Brisbane / DEL = New Delhi / DOH = Doha / DME (Domodedovo) = Moscow / GVA = Geneva / HKG = Hong Kong / ICN = Incheon / IST = Istanbul / JFK (John F Kennedy) = New York / MEL = Melbourne / MUC = Munich / NAD = Nadi / SIN = Singapore
I wonder if anybody in the world actually likes in-flight scrambled eggs.
Come to think of it, I wonder if anybody in the world actually likes buffet scrambled eggs.
I can’t think of another item that can be so exquisitely delicious when done simply at home, and yet so utterly disgusting when done in mass quantity.