12 (Sat) October 2019
New York Striploin Steak
at El Gaucho
-Poblacion, Makati, Manila, Philippines-
with the Family
El Gaucho is an Argentinian steakhouse chain – or so the signage would claim. Founded in Viet Nam (2011), now with 14 locations, mostly in South East Asia, including the newest in the Philippines, which will officially open this coming Wednesday. The website doesn’t mention any connection to the El Gaucho steakhouse chain in Israel (1982) – by coincidence, perhaps, the manager of the Philippines restaurant just so happens to be Israeli. Anyway, other than the chimichurri sauce and the name of the place – “el gaucho” refers to an Argentine cowboy – nothing else seems particularly Argentinian about it.
The cuts are mostly American in style, sourced from either USA or Australia.
The food was competent. But at these prices, competent is wholly inadequate.
The strip was okay. Clean flavor, but not very beefy, especially for USDA Prime. Nicely cooked. Competent.
I doubt that we’ll be back, at least of our own accord.
Best Steaks in Manila:
- Mamou (8.041 Angus Ribeye USDA Prime Grade Steak (Twin)) (3.5) / (9.240 Angus Ribeye USDA Prime Grade Steak (Twin)) (4.0)
- Samba (8.120 Chuletón de Res) (4.0)
- Blackbird (10.034 SRF Wagyu Flatiron) (4.0)
- My Kitchen by Chef Chris (5.044 Grilled Angus Flank Steak) (3.5)
- Mamou (7.203 28-Day Dry-Aged USDA Prime Grade T-Bone Steak) (3.25)
- Salvatore Cuomo & Bar (8.269 Pizza Salsiccia e Funghi) (Bistecca Fiorentina) (3.0)
- 210° Kitchen + Drinkery (8.342 The Egg) (Beef Ribeye) (3.0)
- Va Bena Pasta Deli (9.078 Bolognese Tagliatelle) (Beef Tagliata) (3.0)
- El Gaucho (10.280 New York Striploin Steak) (3.0)
- Chops Chicago Steakhouse (5.357 Chicago Cowboy Steak) (3.0)
- Casa Armas (6.274 Filet Minon) (3.0)
- Cirkulo (6.343 Bistecca di Manzo à la Toscana) (2.5)
- The Fireplace (5.331 Certified Angus Beef Rib-Eye Steak) (2.5)
- Mr Rockefeller (5.133 USDA Prime Ribeye Steak) (2.5)
- Italianni’s (9.146 USDA New York Strip Bistecca) (2.5)
- Steakhouse (5.188 Ribeye Steak) (2.5)
- Pacific Lounge – The Pan-Pacific Manila (6.059 New York Strip Steak) (2.5)
- L’Entrecôte (7.349 L’Entrecôte Double) (2.0)
- Raging Bull Chophouse & Bar (8.085 Darling Downs Wagyu MS 5+ Grass-Raised, Grain-Finished Ribeye Steak) (2.0)